I am passionate about my work as a researcher and enjoy conceptualizing, developing, and implementing research projects that promote a vibrant, healthy and prosperous society. The goal of my research is to prepare citizens and leaders who can effectively participate in increasingly globally interdependent work places, understand and examine complex and controversial local/global issues, act as responsible citizens for local and global societies, and promote peace, holistic thinking and cross-cultural understanding. Informed by my interdisciplinary academic and professional backgrounds in global education, international/comparative education, teacher education, international development, curriculum theory and education change, my current research agenda highlights four themes:
- identifying relevant, powerful, and effective education policies and practices through examining philosophies, histories, systems and practices from comparative and global perspectives;
- developing globally competent leaders, educators and citizens through critical global citizenship education;
- building welcoming and inclusive schools and communities for immigrants and refugees;
- developing global competency for all students in higher education through comprehensive internationalization.
SELECTED RESEARCH GRANTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Guo-Brennan, L. & Guo-Brennan, M. (2017-2019). Global competency for All: A transnational study on the promising policies, program strategies and practices in higher education. Troy University/UPEI. (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Stewart, J., Guo-Brennan, L., Ricento, T. & Li, X. (2015-2016). Bridging two worlds: Culturally responsive career development programs and services to meet the needs of newcomer and refugee children in Canada. Mitacs Accelerate Program Fund. (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Stewart, J., Guo-Brennan, L., Ricento, T. & Li, X. (2014-2016). Bridging two worlds: Culturally responsive career development programs and services to meet the needs of newcomer and refugee children in Canada. The Canadian Education and Research Institute for Counseling (CERIC) Partnership Grant. (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Stewart, J., Guo-Brennan, L., Ricento, T. & Li, X. (2014-2016). Immigrant and Refugee student integration: Building welcoming communities and schools for a sustainable future. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Partnership Development Grant. (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Guo-Brennan, L., Francis, C., Townsend, E & Guo-Brennan, M. (2014). Examining the impact of UPEI’s pre-service teachers’ practicum on selected Kenyan schools. UPEI Major Research Grant (Principal investigator).
- Guo-Brennan, L. & Wei, W. (2013-2015). Developing students’ global competency in higher education. Royal Bank Major Research Grant. (Principal Investigator).
- Esses, V., Andrew, C., Belkhodja, C., Guo-Brennan, L. et al. (2012-2019). Pathways to prosperity: New policy directions and innovative Local practices for newcomer attraction and retention. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) of Canada partnership grant. (Collaborator)
- Guo, L. (2012). Developing pre-service teachers’ intercultural competency in teacher education. SSHRC Bridge Funding Grant (Principal investigator).
- Guo, L. & Goddard, T. (2011-2012). Internationalizing teacher education for an interconnected world - a case study. Major Research Grant (Principal investigator).
- Guo, L. (2012). From Laoshi to partners in learning: Pedagogic conversations across cultures in global classrooms. Travel Grant. $ 2,000
- Guo, L. (2012). Internationalizing teacher education through a holistic approach. UPEI Senate Committee on the Enhancement of Teaching (SCENT) grant ($515).
- Howard, L.L., MacQuarrie, C. & Guo, L., (2011-2012). Reaching out and welcoming in: Newcomer parental engagement at a junior high school on Prince Edward Island. Atlantic Metropolis Center (Co-investigator, $5000).
- Guo, L. (2011). Preparing global educators through global citizenship education. Travel Grant. $ 1500
- Guo, L. (2011). Strengthening the international partnership between UPEI and Chinese institutions. Prospecting Internationalization Fund. $1500
- Guo, S. Guo, Y. Beckett, G. Li, Q. Guo, L. (2010 -2011). Teaching under China’s market economy: Five case studies. Brussels, Belgium: Education International (Co-Investigator, $ 117,500).
- Guo, L., Goddard, T., & Desveaux, D. (2009-2011). Exploring the path to global citizenship education in teacher education. CIDA/UNICEF Global Classroom Project Fund (Principal investigator, $2000).
- Guo, L. (2010). Internationalizing teacher education: a case study. New Scholar Grant ($3000).
- Guo, L. (2009). Toward goodness and harmony: East-west dialogue on curriculum wisdoms. Travel Grant. $1500
- Guo, L. (2007). The meaning of curriculum reform for teachers in China: A hermeneutic inquiry. University of Alberta International Research Grant. $10,000.